CLEARWAY WIRELESS LAUNCH

CLEARWAY WIRELESS LAUNCH

Launching a telecom brand

Clearway Wireless – a subsidiary of Tracfone – is B2B telecom company that our agency branded, designed, developed, and launched. Having had existing experience with similar products as an agency, we were able to leverage previously tested patterns and information architectures while giving Clearway a distinctive brand and style.

My role on the project began as a more traditional Interaction Designer and evolved to include maintaining client relationships, presenting work, gathering and prioritizing requirements, on-boarding new members and maintaining the master prototype which many people touched in different capacities. When the UX Director assigned to this client left the company, I was solely responsible for all UX decisions and client management. 

 

LIVE SITE


Inheriting a project

The early version of the UX was created as I was arriving at the company. It was built in Axure by several disconnected teams including engagement directors, marketing, and business analysts. The document quickly became unmanageable with clear UI and interaction flaws. Here is a sample of where this project stood as I was on-boarded. 


centralizing the prototype

It became clear that the first step towards moving forward was to take a step back and create a better process for a distributed team to work together. I built a new prototype from scratch, introduced new ways of working with version control, trained the BA team on how to properly annotate and maintain documentation within the prototype, introduced a visual language, and built libraries to support further structured design.

I also coached our clients on the type of feedback that we're looking for at certain stages of design. For example, there were issues with getting feedback on visual design at the wireframe stages, mostly caused by inconsistencies in the visual language. Standardizing this and drawing clear lines like "no feedback on color choices right now" helped focus the feedback on user and business goals related to UX. 


Simulating user experiences

Another choice I made was to maintain a completely interactive prototype. I structured the master file to allow me to export certain navigational trees that only related to work being done in the current sprint. This allowed us to have a fully clickable, animated, and structurally sound version of the site while being able to send specific links to our stakeholders. We always left behind a pdf, but our clients grew to favor the prototypes as sign-off documents. 

I also created presentation tools underneath the basic interactions that allowed me to simulate user experiences over time and in different scenarios. Below is an example of how a user would add data if they are running low. 


Grouping by urgency

One of the challenges on this project was designing several experiences based on access control rules. One of those experiences was an account admin having oversight and managing multiple user accounts. The version that we originally presented to our clients was unanimously accepted and signed off on without much feedback and can be seen in the video above. 

As we were putting the finishing touches on copy and getting ready for visual design, we realized that there is a better way of structuring the data that our admins are seeing, and that grouping accounts by urgency was more meaningful than creating list views and drop downs. I went ahead with a redesign that we presented and was approved. 


Supporting Visual Design

Working closely with the visual design team, I was able to make sure that all the UX considerations translated into the final product. This close partnership as well as thorough documentation from the BA team got the final product delivered and launched on time.